Friday, July 13, 2018

21A – Reading Reflection No. 2


  1. 1.      The general theme of “Makers: The New Industrial Revolution” by Chris Anderson is that there is a new revolution on the horizon that could change the way the world makes and sells things. In reality though he only focuses on boutique, expensive, small scale individuals that sell to the rich when describing what the reader can do, and states that the larger scale would actually destroy a lot of jobs due to the reality of economy of scale.
  2. 2.      The book enhanced my learning in ENT 3003 by reminding me that more than one perspective is necessary. Mainly because I believe the core of his ideas, but the explanations and direction he takes with it did not sit well with me.
  3. 3.      Starting the same way the book did, with the 3d printer. I would then expand to all the things making is about and go into the realities of the maker movement.
  4. 4.      The definition for the maker movement taught to me by leader in the movement like Adam Savage aren’t always the same take aways that others may get. Armed with the knowledge I am determined to spread the maker movement as seen by the founders and not the ill informed few who profit from it like a Victorian penny writer.


2 comments:

  1. Adrian, I agree that more than one perspective is necessary when looking at something as big and important as the global economy. I thought it was interesting how you didn't really agree with him. I think it's cool to hear your opposing opinion and the fact that you need to have good facts to have a valid point. Overall, I appreciated your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Adrian, you made this book seem really interesting. The "New Industrial Revolution" could be a huge problem for businesses and workers in our economy. If we have things like the 3D printer making everything, there goes millions of jobs. Just by the real industrial revolution happening, we have machines doing all the heavy work now. One day we will not even need people at all and that is crazy to think about. Perspective is definitely necessary so I would like to see what side the writer was coming from

    ReplyDelete